Friday, March 12, 2010

Is your hair shedding or breaking off?

I hate combing and seeing hair in my comb. The first thing that comes to mind, is my hair's unhealthy or weak. Well little did I know till recently, my hair could be shedding naturally, and not just breaking off.

Shedding:

Is actually a normal process of hair growth. You will know that your hair is shedding when you see a white bulb on the end of the hair you find in the comb, floor or wherever you find it. This piece of hair has shed because another piece will push through. Shedding will also occur because of pregnancy, stress, and hormonal changes.

Breakage:

Occurs when the hair becomes weak, and breaks off. Hair weakens from lack of nutrition, perms, permanent curls, dyes, excessive heat, dryness, and the list goes on.

Preventing Breakage: With brittle and dry hair, use a moisture shampoo, and conditioner. For hair that has been permed or dyed, the structure has been changed lacking nutrients and hydration. Take vitamins ,use water-based products (moisturizers), and or apply oil to the hair everyday. Everyone may not need to add oil to their hair every day.

Check out: "Top Ten Foods for Healthy Hair" at http://www.webmd.com/skin-beauty/features/top-10-foods-for-healthy-hair

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the information. My hair is currently shedding I think it may be my diet because I dont eat enough of the top 10 foods.

    ReplyDelete